Friday 11 April 2014

Spelt Banana Bread

Cake.... sometimes you just need cake


I find spelt flour an interesting beast. I love the density, texture and depth of flavour it brings to a cake. It is now my preferred flour of choice and the majority of my baking is done using this grain. Plus it means I can eat my cake, or feed it to little Lena, with a smug look of divine wholesomeness on my face because of all the additional health benefits it gives. Not least of all the wonderful stuff like minerals, Vitamin B, Niacin, Riboflavin and fibre... but ultimately because of its low GI which helps stop me turning into a rabid Hulk running into the kitchen for slice number five; my classic response when eating a refined victoria sponge.




Spelt banana bread

What you need:
Wet Stuff - mix all together in one bowl
3 ripe bananas, mashed
3 medium eggs, whisked
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsps apple sauce (or 2 tbsps of maple syrup if preferred)
3 tbsps coconut oil, melted

Dry Stuff - mix all together in another bowl
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 cup & 1 tbsp spelt flour
3 tbsps sultanas

What to do:
Add the dry to the wet ingredients a third at a time and mix with a spoon.
Grease a 22cm loaf tin with a little melted coconut oil and line with a strip of greaseproof paper.
Bake on the middle shelf for 40 minutes at 170C. Add a little foil hat at 35 minutes if needed.
Check your loaf is ready by piercing the centre with a skewer. If it comes out clean - hurrah!
Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes and then turn out. Take the paper off and cool a little more.
Slice. Eat


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Lovely to hear from you