Thursday 24 April 2014

Get Crafty: A birdcage


I do adore birdcages. There's something so whimsical about them. I think if I were given free rein to decorate as I wish every room would probably have a nod to a birdcage in it. Rob Ryan bird cage wallpaper, a collaboration with Mini Moderns.... hello!!

My biggest lust for the past five years has been a Tamar Mogendorff birdcage. But since I haven't managed to win the lottery within that time, nor play it in actual fact, I am still to sit in wait.


In the meantime, I thought I would have a go at making a little version myself. It is by no means a replacement. It's purpose, instead, is to hang proudly in my home keeping the spot warm for when I do finally buy one of her superb creations.... I'm truly hoping that day will come within the next 10 years.

I used some gorgeous fabric that my mother-in-law-to-be had left over from a stunning quilt she had made Lena. As well as some 2mm garden wire, wool felt and embroidery thread. All in all, I'm quite chuffed with the result. I didn't want it to be an identical replica so I made my bird a little differently, with an extra feathery tail.



Please check out the rest of her amazing things and be inspired!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Lovely to hear from you